Dynamic Loading - help needed.

ucbvax!calmasd.Prime.COM!jxt at sdcsvax.ucsd.edu ucbvax!calmasd.Prime.COM!jxt at sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 24 10:00:00 AEST 1991

The problem I have is as follows.  It takes me over half an hour to create
a link with the development platform.  This seems to be a tremendous waste
of time, to just test out a single bug fix/mod in a file.  ( BTW I use
dbxtool for debugging. )

I have used another workstation which was running a flavor of System V.
In this environment, we could stay in the debugger (sbd), and compile the
individual file which needed to be modified, and then invoke a locally
developed tool which would do a dynamic link with new .o file.  [ My
understanding is that it searched for the symbols corresponding to the .o
file, and relocated them from their locations in the symbol table, to the
very end...... ]  One could thereafter carry on with the testing and
debugging.  This may be termed as a "dynamic loader", for want of a better
name.

Is some such tool practical in the SUNOS and dbxtool ?  Does anybody know
of such a tool for the SUN4 machines.  Is it in the public domain ?  I
would very much appreciate relevant info.

* Statutory Disclaimer : These are merely my views.	*
* Jawahar M. Tembulkar, Computervision, R & D, 		*
* 9805 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA, 92121, USA.	*
* UUCP : uunet!calmasd!jxt	voice : (619) 587-3078	*