Bad interrupts and failed nfs

Santiago de la Paz garnett at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Wed Apr 3 01:00:00 AEST 1991

Forgive me if the questions I'm asking are old news, but I just read 150
articles with no mention of them.  I have two unrelated problems.  The
first is that on several of our sun 4's we've been getting the following
syslog messages:

Mar 27 13:11:33 newton vmunix: spurious VME interrupt at processor level 5
Mar 27 13:11:33 newton vmunix: VME level 3, VME vector 0xffffffff

These messages occur fairly frequently, but there never seem to be any
hardware problems.  What could be causing this?

My second problem involves diskless client of a sun 3/260.  The client, a
3/110, gets through all the initial stages of booting -- it gets its IP
address, tftp's its kernel, boots the kernel, finds its root/swap/dump
partitions.  However, as soon as it tries to mount its partitions, it
hangs with "portmapper timed out" errors.  The portmapper on the server is
running, and I have even gone so far as to kill the portmapper and then
even reboot the server in an attempt to make the client boot.

Any suggestions regarding these problems would be greatly appreciated...