Moving Sun disk to external case

Bob Posert bob at psitech.com
Sat Apr 20 07:30:00 AEST 1991

Here's the scoop:  I bought a Sun 4/330 with an internal 327 Meg embedded
SCSI drive (a Seagate/CDC WREN IV, aka Model 94171).  I then purchased a
Fujitsu 2266A 1.2G drive from R-squared in an external case with power
supply, etc.  For various reasons, I want to put the Fuji in the 330, and
have the Wren in the external case.

The Fuji works fine internally or externally (BTW, $2586, including 3'
SCSI cable, case, power supply, external terminator, and formatting).  The
Wren works fine internally; but externally, probe-scsi finds it, but SunOS
can't seem to find it.  It won't boot from it.  It doesn't mention finding
it when booting from another disk or the ethernet.  Format can't find it.

I called Seagate's tech support; they say that Sun modifies the drives and
I'd have to talk to Sun.  Sun's tech support says that yes, they _do_
modify the drives ("a firmware change"), but they won't help me unless I
buy a Sun case to put it in.  R-squared's tech support had me check to see
that the SCSI code was in the kernel, /dev/sd* was correct, etc., but
they're stuck without knowing what Sun has done to the disk.

So, has anyone moved a WREN IV from within a Sun to an external case?  Any
help would be appreciated.  E-mail or post, and I'll summarize answers to
the net.

Thanks,
I'm bob at psitech.com or uunet!psitech!bob