vi can't find libc.so.2

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jan 4 12:57:59 AEST 1991

>When I try to bring up vi on a SparcSLC running SunOS 4.1, the message
>
>ld.so: libc.so.2: not found
>
>comes up. The file /usr/lib/libc.so.1.5 is present .  What does this mean,

It means that there are no shared libraries with a major version number of
2 on your system.  As you might infer from the other answer to the
question, the System V shared library has a major version number of 2 (and
a minor version number of 5, at least on my SS1 running 4.1, so the file
isn't "libc.so.2", it's "libc.so.2.5", in "/usr/5lib"; the error message
is a bit confusing, because the run-time loader - "ld.so" - is *not*
looking for "libc.so.2", it's looking for "libc.so.2.*", preferably with
"*" matching 5 or greater - it'll settle for less, but will print a
warning).

Now, I thought that 4.1 installation was supposed to automatically install
the S5 shared library (because "vi" requires it; this is because "vi" is
built in the S5 environment for 4.1, as the 4.1 "vi" is based on the
S5R3.1 one, primarily in order to pick up AT&T's changes to make it
support 8-bit character sets), but perhaps it doesn't....