Panic Dirremove

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jan 4 12:47:50 AEST 1991

>>panic: dirremove
>>dumping filesystem [2] [50] (or some numbers like that)
>>rebooting ...
>
>We had that problem with 4.0 a couple of years ago and there was a patch
>then, I could repeatably get them doing a big Turbo C make.

NFS server bug, I think - the "Turbo C" is a clue, as it sounds like your
NFS client is a DOS machine, and they can be provoked into sending some
NFS requests that cause the server to blow up.

>It has never appeared here in 4.0.3 or 4.1.

I think the server bug in question (it involves NFS requests with
zero-length file names; the server *should* reject them, but in the buggy
systems it tried to actually perform the operation) may be fixed in 4.0.3,
and is fixed in 4.1.

There could, of course, be other bugs that cause similar problems.