Interleaf printing on Sun

John Stanley stanley at phoenix.com
Sat Jan 26 06:35:10 AEST 1991

dbraun at i50s7.ira.uka.de (Dieter Braun) writes:

> After booting the print server, I first have to kill the /usr/lib/lpd and
> restart it by hand. only then the interleaf installed printers are
> working. On the other hand they queue in the interleaf printer queues and
> don't reach the transcript queues.  Printing to the transcript printers
> works right. We are using SunOS 4.1.
>
> Who has any ideas about it.  What is the difference between starting lpd
> in rc and starting as root by hand?  Is there any know lpd bug?  Are there
> any problems with other printing software?

Check the protections on the spool directories. I think the problem you
are seeing is a protection one -- daemon can't get to the files but root
can. And (I think) that the lpd belongs to daemon when started with rc but
root when started by hand.

One problem I know about for sure is a protection one when transcript
prints one file and stops. This is a problem of transcript not being able
to delete the banner file. Your problem may be the same sort of thing.