Help needed with 2/120 and SCSI drive

Marc de Groot marc at toaster.sfsu.edu
Thu Jan 24 12:18:04 AEST 1991

I have a Sun 2/120 and tapes of SunOS 3.2.  I have an Adaptec ST506/SCSI
controller and a 40M hard disk (Micropolis 1304).  Since 40 Megs of disk
isn't enough to have a full OS installation, news feed, etc. I bought a
Maxtor 213-Meg SCSI hard drive to use as a second drive.  The "diag"
program doesn't know how to deal with the Maxtor SCSI drive, but I was
assured by someone that I could "lie" to the diag program about the
geometry of the drive and get it to accept it.

When I run diag it first asks for a controller.  Now, the Maxtor SCSI
drive has a built-in SCSI interface, but I'm not given a choice for that
so I answer "Adaptec controller" (which is the controller for my crufty
Micropolis 40M drive).  HOWEVER, when I am asked for the SCSI device
number (the "target" number) I answer with the Maxtor SCSI drive's number,
NOT the Adaptec controller's number.  I then give a number of cylinders,
number of heads, etc.  that works out to about 210 Megs.  The program then
resets the SCSI bus and hangs, looking for a device out there.

I've tried various things and nothing seems to work.  Can someone help me
with the black art of getting a generic SCSI drive to work with 3.2?

Thanks very much.

-Marc de Groot  marc at toaster.sfsu.edu  uunet!hoptoad!noe!marc