HP SCSI 2 drive booting problems

Jim Burwell faatcrl!jimb at gvlv2.gvl.unisys.com
Mon Jan 21 18:06:25 AEST 1991

Our organization recently got two HP 1.2 GB SCSI2 drives.  They are
strange critters!

After finding a SCSI ID which SunOS liked, and getting the other jumpers
for other things set properly, Sun's format command finally noticed it.
But when I attempted to low-level format the drive, it returned an error
(drive not ready or something).  I figured it was formatted at the
factory, so I tried to label it.  I set up the partitions, and issued the
label command, and voila!  It worked fine.  (Actually, the first time it
complained about not being able to write any backup labels, so I lied to
format and told it that the drive had 2 fewer useable cylindars than it
actually had.  Then it worked with no complaints).  I then exited format,
and tried newfs.  Bingo, it worked with no problem.  I then installed
SunOS 4.1.1 on it, switched the SCSI ID to 0 to make it sd0 (after
changing the original sd0 to SCSI ID 1), and attemped to boot the machine.
The machine (a Sun 3/160) powered up, then complained that the SCSI bus
was continuosely busy.  Puzzled, I played with jumpers, etc.  Nothing
worked.  I then set up a nfs-boot for that machine on our server, and
booted from that.  From here, I had no problem mounting, reading, and
writing the drive!  I verified that the drive had a bootblock, etc, and
tried to boot it again:

	>b sd()

	Boot sd(0,0,0)

	scsi bus continually busy

(or something to that effect)

I then netbooted:

	>b ie() -a

And when it asked where the root was:

	Root partition ?  sd0a

vm_boot:  bad-read
(blah blah)

(This isn't exact.  from memory.)

STRANGE.  I just can't touch the drive until AFTER Unix is booted.  It
appears to me that the bootstrap and boot programs arn't sending the drive
some initialization command to make it become ready.  Perhaps it needs a
SCSI start-unit command, but I don't see why, since I have the jumper for
auto-spin-up set, and the drive does spin-up on power-up. Maybe the
firmware on the drive needs a start-unit or something.

All I know is that the drive seems to be untouchable until after Unix
notices it on boot; after Unix prints things like this:

sd0 at sc0 slave 0
sd0:  <Micropolis 1325 cyl 1022 alt 2 hd 8 sec 17>
sd1 at sc0 slave 1
sd2 at sc0 slave 8
sd2:  <HP 97549.SUNOS cyl 1906 alt 2 hd 16 sec 64>

Is there a special bootstrap program needed to boot from HP drives ?  Or
do I need new firmware for the drive or something?  I really want this
drive to be the system drive, since this drive is an embedded SCSI2 drive,
and the "old" system drive was just a little Micropolis ST-506 70MB 1325.
SLOW!

Also, does anyone know how Sun binds SCSI IDs to device names ?  ID 0 maps
to sd0, ID 1 maps to SD2.  What ID does sd1 map to ?

PLEASE mail me any info you have about this !