Networking a Sun with an Iris

Roberto Togneri robert at swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au
Thu Jan 10 03:36:03 AEST 1991

Our research group uses three Personal IRIS workstations networked
together by NFS and YP. We are soon going to be the proud owners of a new
Sun Sparc 2 which I would like to include as part of the network. Being a
different machine I expect that there may be some problems. One problem
that I am already aware of is the fact that a Sun cannot mount an Iris
over the network (a version mismatch error is returned) but an Iris can
mount a Sun. The SGI people had this to say:

|This is just to clarify the situation concerning the SunOS 4.1 bug that
|keeps Sun clients from mounting SGI nfs servers. Sun has resolved the bug
|and will ship a patched mount(1) to any customer with a support contract.

|The bug numbers previously posted have apparently been consolidated into a
|NEW bug number. The info I have is as follows:

|New Bug Report ID:  network/nfs  1036952

The Sparc 2 we are getting is going to use SunOS 4.1.1. Has this bug been
fixed? If not is there an easy way of getting a hold of the patched mount,
either by uuencoded email or anonymous ftp?

The Irises run a timed program that synchronises the clocks. Is there a
similar facility available on the Suns?

Has anybody come across other problems when trying to force Irises and
Suns to coexist (NFS, YP, etc.)?

Dr. Roberto Togneri
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
The University of Western Australia           Phone: +61-9-380-2535
NEDLANDS WA 6009                              Fax:   +61-9-380-1065
Australia                                     Email: robert at swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au