non-priv'ed mounts

Ric Anderson ric at cs.arizona.edu
Thu Jan 3 08:14:23 AEST 1991

As local SCSI devices get cheaper, more of our faculty are getting them on
their SparcStations.  This is creating a need for non-privileged users to
mount/umount local disks (read/write opticals, CD-ROMs, ...).  We don't
want to give out the root password, nor is making mount/umount "suid" a
viable choice here.

I've seen the floppy tools package which lets users mount/umount floppies.
Is there something equivalent for "hard disks"?

Any ideas appreciated,

Ric Anderson                    Bitnet: Ric at Arizrvax
				Internet: ric at cs.arizona.edu