Adobe type 1 fonts on NeWS/Pageview/NeWSprint

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Wed Jan 9 02:37:01 AEST 1991

Has anyone found a way to contend with Adobe Type 1 fonts in any of the
NeWS based software? I'm particularly interested in being able to preview
documents that have Adobe Type 1 fonts actually embedded in the document
via the eexec operator.

Adobe Type 1 used to be proprietary, but no longer is. There are
conversion programs that go from Adobe Type 1 to Type 3, which is more
portable, and I believe would work on NeWS. Unfortunately, the only
conversion programs I know of don't run in the Sun environment (there are
DOS, PC, and I think Mac programs).

Incidentally, if you have been using Suns with Transcript and Laserwriters
to do print service for Macs (say with CAP), I believe that this will stop
working if you "upgrade" to NeWSPrint because of the Type 1 issue.

Ken Mandelberg      | km at mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP
Dept of Math and CS | km at emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-7963