SPARC/SunOS 4.0.3: Where can I get a make(1) that VPATH works in?

Casey Leedom casey at gauss.llnl.gov
Sat Jan 5 18:49:48 AEST 1991

This is probably old news to everyone else, but I just noticed it now.
Make(1) under SunOS 4.0.3 doesn't handle VPATH.  The string VPATH is in
the binary, but something is broken.  As far as I can see it doesn't pay
any attention to it.  Is it still broken in SunOS 4.1?

Does anyone know where I can get a correctly working SPARC binary?  I
don't want to use GNU make and I'd rather not spend the incredible effort
necessary to get 4.3BSD's make compiled.  I want a version of Sun make
that has this bug fixed.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Casey