Sunview to Xview font conversion on sun386i

Michael Itkin mitkin at yrloc.ipsa.reuter.com
Thu Jan 17 09:28:36 AEST 1991

>>Would anyone who has successfully converted their fonts on a sun386i to
>>the Xview format please describe what they did.
>
>>P.S.  Yes I tried to use the font as is, but it only works under Sunview.
>
> You may need to use the <fontflip_to_68k> command to change the order of the
> bytes in the font file.  This command is only available on 386i machines.
> The man page says it only works for fixedwidthfonts.  Have never messed
> around with the font stuff so I don't know if this is what you need.  The
> reverse of this program should also be on your 386i <fontflip_to_i386>.

The solution was indeed to use fontflip_to_i386.  Thank you all who mailed
me their suggestions (you know who you are).

Just to clarify: fontflip_to_i386 command takes as input a vfont file (Sun
3 fixedwidthfont) and creates a Sun386i vfont.  Convertfont on Sun386i
requires a Sun386i vfont file.  The error message I got from convertfont
was trying to say that on Sun386i convertfont only accepts Sun386i vfonts.
For sunview 'man fontflip' suggested that 'You can use either format of
font, but system performance improves with use of the Sun386i format
fonts', and in fact my font files were in a Sun-3 format.