tar archive format

lwv27 at CAS.BITNET lwv27 at CAS.BITNET
Sat Jan 19 22:06:00 AEST 1991

As opposed to the moderator, my first response would be - did you try the
manual pages?  In specific, try:

man -k tar

which tells man to do a keyword search for man page entries dealing with
the string of characters 'tar'.  I found a tar man page in section 5 which
should get one started.

The problem with using the GNU source and man pages is that there is no
guarantee that what it describes is completely compatible with what is
being used by /bin/tar - it might be a superset of traditional tar.

Larry W. Virden                 UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27
Same Mbox: BITNET: lwv27 at cas    INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET at CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu
Personal: 674 Falls Place,   Reynoldsburg,OH 43068-1614
America Online: lvirden