Mounting Apollo Disks to Sun Filesystems

Aristotle Vinuya vinuya at einstein.eds.com
Fri Jun 28 06:22:00 AEST 1991

Problem:   A user would like to have an Apollo filesystem mounted onto a Sun
	   filesystem so that transparent operation is possible (i.e.,
	   ASCII type files can be copied, browsed, and so forth as if the
	   Apollo was another remote Sun workstation).

	   For this case, we have available an Apollo 4500 and a Sun 4/60
	   running DomainOS 10.3 and SunOS 4.1.1, respectively.  The Apollo
	   is running its portmap, mountd, and nfsd daemons.  The Sun can
	   perform ping's, rlogin's, and ftp's (in general, the usual remote
	   actions) on the Apollo.

	   We have attempted mounting a directory on the Apollo to a
	   directory on the Sun using one each of three methods:

	    1)  Put the Apollo in the Sun's /etc/auto.direct file and
	        run the automount on the Sun.
	    2)	Put the Apollo in the Sun's /etc/fstab and reboot the
	 	Sun.
	    3)	Use the mount command to mount the Apollo directly.

	   In all three cases, the Sun has failed to mount the Apollo.
	   The results were either that the Sun kept retrying the
	   mount until the process was stopped or that the Sun returned
	   with an "access denied" message.

Solution:  We would like to enlist the aid of anyone who reads this newsgroup
	   to answer the following question, "Has any attempt to do this been
	   successful?"  If the answer is no, then we can only assume that
	   the operation is--at best--a difficult proposition and is not
	   worth further pursuit.  If the answer is yes, would that Apollo/
	   Sun expert kindly share his or her successful procedure.  Any
	   reply would be appreciated.

Aristotle Vinuya                       Phone Number:  313-265-7069
Electronic Data Systems Corporation    ARPA:  vinuya at einstein.eds.com
750 Tower Drive                        UUCP:  ...uunet!edsews!einstein!vinuya
Troy, Michigan  48007-7019             June 14, 1991