Exabyte Tape Errors

Tim Wood mtxinu!sybase!ohday!tim at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 13 05:40:00 AEST 1991

In article <3421 at brchh104.bnr.ca> adw at isg.cs.reading.ac.uk (Anthony Worrall) writes:
>We have beening doing dumps onto an Exabyte connected to a 4/380 under
>SUNOS 4.1.1 rev B using Sony QG-112M tapes. Recently we have started to
>get write errors with the error message
>
>	st1:  write failed
>	st1 error:  sense key(0x5): illegal request

Could it be that you are at the exact end-of-volume when this occurs?
This happened to me with a QIC-24; the sense key error seemed to be when
writing a block that was at or wrapped around the end-of-tape reversal
point (since those tapes are serpentine.)  The tape and drive have
otherwise worked fine.  HTH; pls let me know what you find out,

Thanks,
Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
WORK:tim at sybase.com     {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
PLAY:axolotl!tim at toad.com		       {sun,uunet}!hoptoad!axolotl!tim