Exabyte Tape Errors

Anthony Worrall adw at isg.cs.reading.ac.uk
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

We have beening doing dumps onto an Exabyte connected to a 4/380 under
SUNOS 4.1.1 rev B using Sony QG-112M tapes. Recently we have started to
get write errors with the error message

	st1:  write failed
	st1 error:  sense key(0x5): illegal request

This error message seems to be tape dependent and has occurred on the Exabyte
tape supplied with the drive as well as the Sony tapes. I had the Sun engineer
in and we changed the drive the cables and finally the CPU board which seemed
to cure the problem, but now it is back again.

Cleaning the Exabyte does not have any effect. I have occasionly used
TDK P5-90EHG tapes without any problem but they have not seen much re-use.

Does anyone know what is causing the problem and what the cure might be.

Cheers

Anthony.Worrall at Reading.ac.uk