Backup media

andrew.j.fielden afielden at cbnewsb.cb.att.com
Fri Jun 28 06:22:00 AEST 1991

I am trying to work out the best backup strategy for our Sun fileserver
(a Sun 3/280). We have an Exabyte 8mm tape drive, QIC-24 tape drive and
9 track one inch tape drive.

I'm thinking of using the Exabyte to perform monthly archives of all the
disks. These would be kept for several months. However, I have heard that the
8mm tapes are prone to drop outs - and this can happen over a period of one
month. Is there any truth in this ?
If the tapes are unreliable, what are the alternatives ? Is DAT any better ?

Information on other types of storage media would be appreciated.
Please respond by e-mail.
Thanks.
--
Andrew Fielden. AT&T Network Systems UK.
afielden at hvmpa.att.com
.!hvmpa!afielden