Newsprint software

Bill Unruh unruh at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

I don't know how to submit to comp.sys.sun, so I hope this is right.

Re Newsprint and accounting- Discussion 14093 in comp.sys.sun
Yes Sun did screw up the accounting. Not only does it not give the number
of pages printed, but if someone does lpr -h, you also get absolutely no
information about the job in the "accounting" file.
Fortunately, sun gives the source at least for the printer controller
software, and I have patched mine so as to keep track of the total number of
pages printed in the spool directory for the SparcPrinter.
The printing out of accounting is done in the NeWS-directory/lpd/lpd_script
file, so I have altered it to a) print out the accounting information for
all jobs, wheter the banner is printed or not (lpr -h), b) append a
pagecount for the job in the accounting file.
If you want more information about what I have done, pls message me at
unruh at physics.ubc.ca