Dynamic shared libraries

Peter Peter
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

From: srwmpnm at windy.dsir.govt.nz
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: Dynamic shared libraries
Date: 9 May 91 09:30:34 GMT

Has anyone successfully called "the simple programmatic interface routines to
the dynamic linker" dlopen(), dlsym(), dlerror() and dlclose(), on a Sun 4?

Everything works ok if I explicitly ld the main program with the shared
library, but in that case there's not much point in calling the dl*() routines
anyway.  In my case I don't know the name of the shared library until
run-time, so I can't ld with the library.

If I don't ld with the library then dlopen() and dlsym() succeed, but memory
at the location returned by dlsym() never gets mapped.  I get a segment
violation when I try to access memory there.

What do I have to do to ensure the memory gets mapped?  Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks, Peter McGavin.   (srwmpnm at wnv.dsir.govt.nz)