zmodem protocol under SunOS questions...

Andrew reynhout at cs.uri.edu
Thu Jun 6 00:17:00 AEST 1991

[I originally posted this to comp.unix.questions, but now I realise that this
is probably the more appropriate place to ask, so...  If this is a repeat for
you, I apologise.]

   Greetings.

   I'm looking for some help on a zmodem (or x/ymodem, at this point!) program
for SunOS.  I ftped sz from uunet, and then tried rzsz from nova.cc.purdue.edu,
per one respondent's suggestion, but I can't seem to persuade them to work.
(btw- they're the same software package, but the one on nova is slightly more
recent.  They both date to early 1989.)

   In the makefile, it says to read over a few .c files and make any necessary
changes for different or hybrid implementations.  I understand that SunOS is
a hybrid of BSD and SysV, leaning more toward SysV...but I don't begin to know
what that translates into in terms of libraries and such.  The software sup-
plies five (six in the one from nova) different OSes that it knows how to make
itself for (NeXT, Xenix, 386 Xenix, 4.xBSD/Ultrix/V7, SYSTEM 5.3 Unix with
mkdir(2), and SYSTEM 3/5 Unix [sic])

   I tried compiling as SysVr3 w/ mkdir(2), but it didn't work.  Then I tried
System 3/5, it didn't work.  Getting desperate, I tried the BSD default.
   Needless to say, I was without success.

   I'm running SunOS 4.1.1 on a sun3.  Other machines that I might conceivably
want to run sz on are running SunOS 4.0.  I'm not entirely certain what kind
of machine they are, since uname doesn't seem to work on them.

   So, anyway, I'm looking for either an already-compiled copy of rz/sz that
works as intended under the configuration described above, OR some pointers
as to what to do to make sz/rz compile properly, OR another software package
entirely that WILL compile properly.  For what it's worth, rz/sz compiles as
expected...it just doesn't work.  I checked to make sure that all the important
CHARACTERS were passing (I was worried that my connect scheme was eating the
high bit or something like that).

   Any help would be most appreciated.
   Thx,
   Andrew

PS: Thanks to those that have already responded.  A few people expressed that
they, too, are having this problem.  Others suggested that I might have an old
version of sz (one pointed me to the rzsz at nova,) but so far I've been no
more successful than before.