Bug in rpc.yppasswdd ?

Jan B. Andersen jba at gorm.ruc.dk
Thu Jun 13 05:40:00 AEST 1991

To which rossc at extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Ross Cartlidge) replies:

>Take out the DIR=/var/yp/kesa and it'll work fine.

No - It won't work!! The problem is that rpc.yppasswdd generates the wrong
set of arguments to make instead of using the -m value.

I had the same problem until 10 min. ago (and thus had to run a cron-job
every 10 min to update the maps), but inspired by your test I came up with
the following fix:

In /var/yp/Makefile, insert a target that matches whatever rpc.yppasswd
generates and let that target do a 'make passwd' instead. On my system
(with "rpc.yppasswdd /usr/etc/NIS-Master-files/passwd -m passwd" in
/etc/rc.local) it becomes:

 rpc.yppasswdd:
   @echo "This is a gigantic fix for rpc.yppasswdd"
   @echo "Why does it call make with the arguments"