Bug in rpc.yppasswdd ?

Don Christensen djc at kesa.com
Wed Jun 5 04:40:00 AEST 1991

I am having a problem getting rpc.yppasswdd to automatically do a yp make
whenever an NIS passwd gets changed.  I am using the exact line given in
the SunOS 4.1.1 System and Network Administration Manual on page 490
(except I am using /etc/passwd as the master passwd file) as follows:

    /usr/etc/yp/rpc.yppasswd /etc/passwd -m passwd DIR=/var/yp/kesa

When I use yppasswd from an NIS client, the maps do not get propogated
until a cron job runs and does it or I do a make by hand.  In trying to
debug this, I replaced /bin/make with a shell script that echoed its
arguments to a file as follows:

    #! /bin/sh
    echo Make arguments are $* > /var/tmp/make.args

After doing a yppasswd on a client, the /var/tmp/make.args file contained
the following:

    Make arguments are /usr/etc/yp/rpc.yppasswd \
    /etc/passwd -m passwd DIR=/var/yp/kesa

    (line broken by me for readability)

It seems to me that this is incorrect ;^)  Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a workaround or patch that I do not know about?  We are running
4.1.1 with no patches on an IPC.

Thanks for any help.

-Don
--
Don Christensen  <=> djc at kesa.com     <=> "Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend;
Kesa Corporation <=> ...!mips!kesa!djc <=> they are all equal in the end."