SUN Laboratory Opinions

Shawn Prendergast PRENDER at mps.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jun 6 00:17:00 AEST 1991

From: prender at ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: SUN Laboratory Opinions
Date: 30 May 91 22:06:26 EDT
News-Moderator: Approval required for posting to comp.sys.sun

Hi.  Our research group needs to do real-time (or as close as possible) display
(grayscale-ish images) and 2D FFTs of 100+ x 100+ arrays of numbers, along with
standard 2- or 3D rotations of the generated images (basically all just very
fast (compared to DOS on 386s) numbercrunching and graphics), and I've drawn
the short straw on 'finding a suitable system' for the job.  So far, OS/2 2.0
(32 bit), SUN (and similar) workstations, and the NeXT Machine have all come
up for consideration.  I have myriad DOS (and related area) experience, but
nothing of consequence on the others, and so I'm looking for some practical
opinions of people actually USING SUNs (or actually, ANY of the above systems)
in a laboratory enviroment.

is VERY tempting to us, but I have NO experience AT ALL with even SEEING a
SUN run (I am a mainframe UnixBaby, though), and so hope to get some real
nitty-gritty on the subject.  Anything provided would be greatly appreciated.
As usual, EMAIL is sure to be read but postings to this group should be noticed
as well :-) ...

Thanks.

S Prendergast
OSU Physics