Server Crashes with remote tape use in SunOS 4.1.1

Harry Dodgson dodgson at cs.wmich.edu
Sat Mar 16 08:44:00 AEST 1991

I have upgraded the servers here to SunOS 4.1.1.  I have crashed the
tapehost twice so far trying to access a tape from a remote machine.  This
is the configuration each time:

try 1.
tapeHost Sun3/60, 16Meg RAM, 32Meg Swap, 1/4" tape drive
client Sun4/280, 32Meg RAM, 80Meg Swap
running extract_unbundled to install SUN Fortran 1.3.1

try 2.
tapehost Sun4/470, 32Meg RAM, >64Meg Swap, 8mm tape
client Sun3/60, 16Meg RAM, 32Meg Swap (same as above)
running rrestore with "ifs" switches.

Both times the tapehost paniced, crashed, and rebooted.  Both tapehosts
are acting as servers, the 4/470 is the primary NIS server and exports
most of it's file structure - the 3/60 is secondary NIS server and exports
one directory.  All three units were recently upgraded to SunOS 4.1.1 and
have only a few local customizations to /etc for our site.  Both servers
also run DNS if that matters.

Our department currently does not receive the SUN bug fixes so I don't
know if this has been documented yet.

Harry Dodgson Jr.           | Internet  dodgson at sol.cs.wmich.edu  -(35.132.4.2)-
Western Michigan University | UUCP      ...uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!wmu-cs!dodgson
Computer Science Department | Voice     (616) 387-5803
Kalamazoo, MI  49008        | Office    4420 Dunbar Hall