Server Crashes with remote tape use in SunOS 4.1.1

Paul Eggert twinsun!eggert at uunet.uu.net
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

dodgson at cs.wmich.edu (Harry Dodgson) writes that his remote SunOS 4.1.1
tapehosts crashed.  We had a similar problem with remote dumping with a
4.1.1 Sun-3/60 8mm tapehost.  At first the kernel paniced with a ``psig
action'' message.  Sun sent us a patch for bugid 1032534, but the dumps
still fail with the following message:

	st1:  tape synchronization lost
	psig: "rmt" signal 14 was masked, put back.

Sun knows about this problem, but doesn't have a fix yet.  As a stopgap we
moved our tape drive to a 4.1.1 Sparcstation 1+, and we are crossing our
fingers.