Ciprico 3523 and Xylogics 451 disk controllers

Jon Geld jgeld at caen.engin.umich.edu
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

I'm upgrading a Sun 3/160 from SunOS 3.2 to 4.1.1.  To help with the
conversion, we have purchased a 766 MB Seagate which is hooked up to a
Ciprico 3523 SCSI controller.  The original system has two Fujitsu Eagles
connected to a Xylogics 451 SMD controller.  To ease the conversion
process, I remove the Xylogics from the VME bus and connect the Ciprico
and have built and configured OS 4.1.1 on the SCSI disk.  Then when I am
through with my testing I pull the Ciprico back out and use the Xylogics.
So far so good.  I had few problems getting the OS built on the SCSI and
getting the system configured as I wanted.

Now, however, I want to get the Ciprico and the Xylogics working together.
I would like to continue booting from the Ciprico (since I have the OS
built on there), and use the two SMD disks as user and swap space for our
clients.  When I talked with my local Sun person, he seemed to think that
all I had to do was change the base address for the Xylogics board from
ee40 to ee48 and all would be okay.  Guess I had better backtrack one
step.  The Ciprico initially looks to the Sun as a Xylogics controller at
address ee40.  Only after the kernel has been loaded does it then see it
as a SCSI controller.  Thus, the real Xylogics controller could not stay
at ee40.  However, this did not work (or I wouldn't be posting here).  I
get the error message (right after self test, so changing the kernel will
have no effect):

	No label found -- attempting boot anyway.

Three or four times, and then it tries alternate boot devices (which of
course aren't there).  Naturally there are labels on all the disks
otherwise they wouldn't be working to begin with.  Upon talking with the
tech support people at the company which sold me the SCSI subsystem, they
suggested that I configure the Xylogics to not boot.  I had thought I had
already done this, so they said try to set up the Ciprico not to boot
(there is a jumper setting on the board to do this).  I don't really want
to do this because (a) that is not the way I want it in the end, I want to
boot from the SCSI, and (b) since the Xylogics disks have OS 3.2 on them,
I don't think the SCSI disk will even work correctly.  I guess it would
tell me whether the sun will even boot with both controllers in.

My question is, is there anyone else out there that has a Ciprico and a
Xylogics working happily together where the Ciprico is the bootable
controller?  Is there a special jumper setting on the Xylogics that will
tell the sun not to boot from it?  The tech support people seemed to think
that the two controllers should be able to work together.

Please mail me your suggestions at the address below, I'll be glad to
summarize anything that works.

Jon Geld			| geld at mail.physics.lsa.umich.edu