TrailBlazer at 19200 baud with SunOS 4.1?

Gary Bartlett garyb at abekrd.co.uk
Tue Mar 19 03:28:00 AEST 1991

After installing the 4.1 operating system, I noticed that uucico seemed to
work at 19200 baud without any hacks.  This meant we could use our
TrailBlazer modem right away - and it works.  However, I'm not sure if
we're getting the maximum possible throughput after seeing the output of
an 'stty -a' on the serial port (stty -a > /dev/cua0):

input speed 9600 baudoutput speed 19200 baud, 0 rows, 0 columns
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -iuclc
-ixon -ixany -ixoff -imaxbel
-isig -iexten -icanon -xcase -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop
-echoctl -echoprt -echoke
-opost -olcuc -onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel
min 64, time 1
erase  kill   werase rprnt  flush  lnext  susp   intr   quit   stop   eof
^?     ^U     ^W     ^R     ^O     ^V     ^Z/^Y  ^C     ^\     ^S/^Q

This was a snapshot whilst uucico was in the middle of transferring data,
and appears to show that although the speed to the modem is 19200 baud,
the speed back from the modem is only 9600 baud!  How can this be?  Is
this a mistake? (The line between modem and computer is locked at 19200
baud by the TrailBlazer and so wouldn't communicate at all if another
speed was in use.)

An example Systems file entry is:

Site Any ACU F19200 PhoneNumber ogin:--ogin: anon ssword: anon

The relevant entry in Devices is:

ACU cua0 - F19200 tbfast

The relevant entry in Dialers is:

tbfast =W-, "" \dA\pA\pA\pTE1V1X3Q0S2=255S12=255S111=30S50=255\r\c OK\r \EATDT\T\r\c CONNECT\sFAST-\c-CONNECT\sFAST

Is this OK?  Is the transfer really going at 19200 baud in both
directions?  Do I need to make changes to uucico again?  If so, what needs
changing?

Thanks for any help,
Gary C. Bartlett               NET: garyb at abekrd.co.uk