screenblank/OpenWindows problem

James Cameron jc at raven.bu.edu
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

RM> I have six SPARCstations 2 and two SPARCstations 1+.  We run SunOS 4.1.1
RM> and use OpenWindows 2.0 basically all the time.  The problem: screenblank
RM> (I assume; OpenWindows doesn't appear to handle that function itself)

[...Removed rest of screenblank problems...]

Apparently, Sun's screenblanking has a *serious/silly* bug in that it
sometimes only checks the /dev/console for messages.  The simple
workaround is to have the Xserver (Xsun or whatever you use) run the
screenblanking for you and disable Sun's screenblanker.  Your Xserver
probably takes  a '-s' to get the screensaver option.

James Cameron  -  jc at raven.bu.edu