Sun/AutoCad Question

Ben Olasov olasov at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

I'm trying to help a friend run a routine that's causing some very
behaviour on her cluster of 386i's and IPC's:

There's an AutoLISP routine that passes the string "ls
/files/vol/user1/*.dwg > foo.dir" to AutoCad's 'shell' command.  The
directory in the string does contain files having the extension .dwg.  The
result of doing this is that a zero byte file named foo.dir is created.
If, however, you open a shelltool interactively and type "ls
/files/vol/user1/*.dwg > foo.dir", it works normally.

Although I don't really understand what's going wrong, it seems to have
something to do with the way that AutoCad is opening shells on these
machines.  There's nothing unusual about the .cshrc or .login files.  The
same routine works fine on the Suns in my office (the file foo.dir gets
created with the names of all the files with the extension '.dwg').  This
is both as a restricted user and as superuser.

Anyone else had this problem with AutoCad shells/ ideas on what to do
about it?