CR/LF problems connecting to other sites.

Paul Eggert twinsun!eggert at uunet.uu.net
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

dynasys!hbmc!jessea at rutgers.edu (Jesse W. Asher) writes:

>I have about 5 sites that I can't log into because
>when I send the login and password strings, a newline doesn't get
>translated/sent.  On other systems, when the login string is sent you can
>see the login string echoed back and then ^M^J tacked onto it.  With these
>particular sites, all you see is  "uufoo^M".

This could well be a parity problem.  SunOS 4.1.1's UUCP sends even parity
by default, but many Unix login programs run with eight-bit input, and
will thus misread all characters that contain an odd number of 1 bits,
including CR (octal 015).  To fix this, put ``"" P_ZERO'' in the chat
script in the Sun's /etc/uucp/Systems file, e.g.:

them Any ACU 19200 5551212 "" P_ZERO "" \r\c ogin:-\r\c-ogin: ...

For more, please see page 668 of the Sun System & Network Administration
manual (27 March 1990).