CR/LF problems connecting to other sites.

Jesse W. Asher dynasys!hbmc!jessea at rutgers.edu
Tue Mar 19 03:28:00 AEST 1991

I was running a newsfeed for 15 other sites off a 386 and using a
Trailblazer Plus.  I recently moved all the sites over to a Sun
Sparcstation 1+ running SunOS 4.1 and using a T2500.  I'm having a strange
problem with this new machine, however, that I can't seem to pin down to a
particular cause.  I have about 5  sites that I can't log into because
when I send the login and password strings, a newline doesn't get
translated/sent.  On other systems, when the login string is sent you can
see the login string echoed back and then ^M^J tacked onto it.  With these
particular sites, all you see is  "uufoo^M".  I tried forcing the newline
by putting a \n in the chat script, but all that does is give me an
incorrect login message.  I've tried

ogin: uufoo\r\n\c
ogin: uufoo\n\c
ogin: uufoo\n
ogin: uufoo\r
and anything else I could think of.  When I do send a newline character,
I always get an incorrect login.  An example is listed below:

ATDWTxxxxxxx^M)
expect: (CONNECT)
^M^J>^M^JCONNECTgot it
sendthem ()
CLOCAL clear
<NO CR>)
getto ret 6
expect: (ogin:)
 2400^M^JE^@E^@E^@E^@E^@E^@E^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^J^MIBM AIX Version 3 for RISC System/6000^J^M(C) Copyrights by IBM and by others 1982, 1990.^J^Mlogin:got it
sendthem (uuhome^M)
expect: (word:)
 uuhome^Mtimed out
close caller (6)
delock(cua0)
Call Failed: LOGIN FAILED
exit code 101
Conversation Complete: Status FAILED

Next is debugging output from a successful login.  Notice the
differences in handling the ^M:

ATDWTxxxxxxx^M)
expect: (CONNECT)
^M^J>^M^JCONNECTgot it
sendthem (^M)
CLOCAL clear
<NO CR>)
getto ret 6
expect: ("")
got it
sendthem (DELAY
^M^M)
expect: (ogin:)
 1200^M^J^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^Q^M^JPassword:^M^JLogin incorrect^M^Jlogin:got it
sendthem (uuhome^M)
expect: (word:)
 login: uuhome^M^JPassword:got it
sendthem ({PASSWORD}^M)
imsg >^M^JUNIX System V Release 3.0 AT&T 3B2^M^Jdmvvmd^M^JCopyright (c) 1984 AT&T^M^JAll Rights Reserved^M^J^PShere=dmvvmd^@Login Successful: System=dmvvmd

Both the above chat scripts use "ogin: uuhome word: ...".  There doesn't
seem to be a pattern in the types of modems or types of systems.  It
occurs with a V.22bis modem, US Robotics V.32 modem, and even another
T2500.  The systems range from the RS6000 system above, to a 386 running
SCO Unix, a 286 running SCO Xenix, and even an NCR Tower.

I thought it might be in the modem, but I've looked at every register and
even talked to Telebit Tech support.  The only setting related to CR/LF is
F2 (Enhanced mode).  I tried that, but it didn't solve my problem either.
My only other option is operating system related.  Has anyone ever seen
this before?  It seems strange that everything worked just fine on my
other system but will not work on my Sun.  Thanx for reading this whole
mess and I hope I'll hear from someone.

         Jesse W. Asher                             Phone: (901)386-5061
                       UUCP: ...!{dynasys,banana}!hbmc!jessea