Puzzle: Won't ignore CD

Michael A. Covington mcovingt at athena.cs.uga.edu
Tue Mar 19 03:28:00 AEST 1991

I have two Sparcstations connected to a laser printer sharing box that
uses CTS for handshaking.

 (Several PCs are also connected to the same box.)

One of the Sparcs works fine. The other one, identically configured as far
as I can tell, has a problem: in spite of "eeprom ttyb-ignore-cd=true", it
won't transmit unless CD is high.

Normally, with this setup, CD is left disconnected.

I can "fix" the problem in hardware by tying CD to CTS, but before doing
this, I want to know what's wrong in the first place, or how to solve it
in software. Is there an stty parameter that controls whether CD is
ignored, and overrides the parameter in the eeprom?

Michael Covington, Artificial Intelligence Programs, U of Georgia
mcovingt at uga.cc.uga.edu  (Try our FTP archive: aisun1.ai.uga.edu)