OpenWindows questions (remote windows, fonts)

Harvey Richardson harvey at physics.heriot-watt.ac.uk
Wed Mar 20 04:33:00 AEST 1991

I have a couple of OpenWindows questions: I am new to X so hope these are
not too trivial.

1) Opening remote windows.

   I have two machines: vulcan (4/260, OS 4.0.3) and photon (4/110, OS 4.0.3)
   which both mount /usr/openwin from abacus (4/65, OS 4.1).
   I want to run fire up a window on vulcan from a client running on abacus.

   ( photon% setenv DISPLAY vulcan:0
     photon% xclient )

   Now I have used xauth to extract the entries for the remote machine
   in each case and merged these entries into the remote .Xauthority
   files.
   When I first do this all is fine and I can fire up the remote window.

   However when I next run /usr/openwin/bin/openwin on vulcan the
   key in the .Xauthority file is changed and of course I can then
   no longer contact the X server.

   Why this is happening?

2) Fonts.

   I use two screen types: a high-res mono and a colour screen. On the
   mono screen all the clients use a font which is too small for me
   to read.  (I presume the fonts are scaled by pixel size.)
   Can I,
   a) globally change the default font (like DEFAULT_FONT in sunview)
   b) change the font used by any tool (ie shell tool).

Any help much appreciated.

Harvey Richardson

      e-mail : JANET    - harvey at uk.ac.hw.phy
               INTERNET - harvey%phy.hw.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
               (or yuk) - harvey%phy.hw.ac.uk at cunyvm.cuny.edu
               BITNET   - harvey%phy.hw.ac.uk
        mail : Physics Department
               Heriot-Watt University
               Riccarton,  Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, UK.
       phone : 031-451-3040           (+44 31-451-3040)