Help with weird problem

Craig Petty overlord!cpetty at sunburn.west.sun.com
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

----- Begin Included Message -----

I'm having a strange problem with my Suns. I have a 4/490 server running
4.1, with 10 diskless SLC's and 5 diskful IPC's. If I reboot the server
(while the workstations are up), when the server comes back up, I cannot
rlogin from the server to some of the stations.

-----------------------------------

We had (have?) the same problem here, with 150 sparc1+s and 4 4/490's.  We
have observed the exact same behavior here, including the fact that the
problem seems to be related to the amount of time the server is down.  And
we too have observed that it doesn't seem to affect machines which have
users logged on.

It seems to be directly related to NIS.  For example, you can log onto
these hung workstations if the account you are logging into does not
require NIS (i.e. the account dir is in the local password file/file
system).

Our workstations are very dependent on the servers, and so we weren't too
suprised that they were disabled when the server wen't down.  However, we
were quite suprised that they didn't recover.

Setting up serveral of the workstations as yp slaves seems to have
virtually eliminated the problem, though we have seen 1 or 2 occurences
since.