SunOS C2 Security -- One answer needed soon

De Clarke de at helios.ucsc.edu
Sat Mar 23 06:20:20 AEST 1991

The C2 conversion offers a lot that we want.  We are seriously considering
doing it in the very near future.  However, we are put off by the fact
that the documentation nowhere indicates that the automounter can be used
to mount the audit log partitions.

We do not wish to "hard" NFS mount these partitions due to the infamous
timeout which happens on clients as soon as an NFS server goes away.  We
mount a great many partitions in many directions here, and converting to
the automounter was the best thing we ever did!

So, my question:  *is* it possible to use the automounter to mount the
audit log partitions (if so, why does Sun neglect to mention it in the
doc) and  if not, why not?  We really don't want to go ahead with the C2
conversion until we know the answer.

Another question:  any gut feelings on how fast the audit trail fills up
the partition at a medium-paranoid level (log only failed ops)??

Please email answers to me directly, thanks.