ld.so looks for wrong libc.so

Jason "dedos" Austin jason at cs.odu.edu
Sun Mar 24 22:32:00 AEST 1991

In article <2005 at brchh104.bnr.ca> mea at sparta.com (Mike Anderson) writes:

-> Now comes the strange part.  When I try to run certain programs like vi, I
-> get a message from ld.so saying it can't find libc.so.2 and the program
-> sputters and dies.  Now when I look at my /usr/lib, I see libc.so.1.6 but
-> no libc.so.2.  The ld.so.cache looks right (it shows libc.so.1.6) as does
-> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Vi uses libc.so.2 which is the system V version of the C library, and that
library is kept in /usr/5lib.  ld.so should default to scanning that
directory along with /usr/lib.  I would check to make sure /usr/5lib
exists.

Jason C. Austin
jason at cs.odu.edu