ld.so looks for wrong libc.so

Mark Bush Mark.Bush at prg.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Mar 27 02:00:00 AEST 1991

In article <2005 at brchh104.bnr.ca> mea at sparta.com (Mike Anderson) writes:
>Now comes the strange part.  When I try to run certain programs like vi, I
>get a message from ld.so saying it can't find libc.so.2 and the program
>sputters and dies.  Now when I look at my /usr/lib, I see libc.so.1.6 but
>no libc.so.2.  The ld.so.cache looks right (it shows libc.so.1.6) as does
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Issueing ldconfig doesn't clear it up either.  Reboots
>are ineffective at clearing this problem up as well.  Anyone have any
>clues, pointers or RTFMs they can give me to shed some light on this
>problem?

I think this came up net too long ago (and I got bitten by it when I
upgraded to SunOS4.1!).  The library used by `vi' and it's friends is the
System V libc, not the BSD one.  Check that you have /usr/5lib installed.

If you run `ldd /usr/ucb/vi' it will tell you what libraries it wants and
where it is expecting to find them.

Mark