HP IIP & SPARCstations

Stew Ellis elliss at eecae.ee.msu.edu
Tue Mar 26 08:00:00 AEST 1991

jeh at mech4.coe.northeastern.edu (James Hinds) writes:

>I am involved with setting up a series of SUN SPARCstations for novice
>Unix users.  They are coming from DOS and bringing their HP printers with
>them.

I have just hooked up an original HP Deskjet to a Sun 3 running SunOS 4.1
and Openwindows 2.  My printcap follows:

lp|hplj|HP LaserJet:\
        :lp=/dev/ttyb:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lp:\
        :br#19200:pw#80:\
        :ms=-parity,-cstopb,-clocal,-cread,crtscts,ixon,-opost:\
        :sh:of=/usr/lib/hplaserjet:

The of (/usr/lib/hplaserjet) consists of:

        /usr/bin/echo -n 'k2G'
        /usr/bin/cat
        if ($status == 0) then
                exit 0
        else
                exit 1
        endif

        NOTE:   Before the characters k2G you need to perform the following
                commands:

                CTRL-V,CTRL-[,&

                This imbeds an escape code and & code into the file.  These
                codes WILL NOT show up when you cat the file, only when you
                vi the file.

        Chmod 555 hplaserjet

        lpr a test file.

I have successfully sent both ASCII and binary (xpr output of xwd) to the
printer.  I am having some trouble with ghostscript 2.11 but I suspect it
is not the printcap or filter.

Good luck.

  elliss at frith.egr.msu.edu            ENGINEERING & MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE