Changing colours on the fly

Blair MacIntyre bmacinty at mud.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Mar 22 07:31:00 AEST 1991

First, the situation.  I want to be able to continuously change a window
border colour.  For the sake of argument, lets say I want a window border
to gradually change from one color to another.  This is for a NeWS window,
of course, not an X one.

What I might try to do is this: create a PseudoColor colormap, get a color
segment for the borders and then gradually change the color over time,
much like what is done in the "Fader" demo that comes with OW2.0

Problem: when I move into another NeWS window, it's colormap is installed.
This means that, while my program is happily chugging away changing it's
colours, the changes are not being displayed.  From the point of view of a
gradual colour change, this is a complete disaster.

Why this seems dumb to me:  the colours that I'm changing are not
allocated in the second windows colour map.  There should be a way to say
"here's the colour I'm using, change it" ... since I know that I'm the
only one using that look-up table entry.

I _need_ a way to have these colours change continuously.

This is for an experimental system.  I'm willing to risk overwriting part
of another programs installed colourmap.  I'm willing to use disgusting
hacks.

Any ideas will be helpful.

Blair MacIntyre, Computer Graphics Lab
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L3G1
{bmacintyre@{watcgl|violet|watdragon}}.{waterloo.edu|uwaterloo.ca}