Building Emacs 18.57 with SunOS 4.1, OpenWindows 2.0

David Osborne cczdao at mips.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Mar 16 08:44:00 AEST 1991

I have a problem with static vs. dynamic linking, trying to get X support
in Emacs 18.57, using the X11 library in /usr/openwin/lib, and the SunOS
cc.

I can build a runnable xemacs if I don't define HAVE_X_WINDOWS in
config.h.  No problem.

However, as I want X support in Emacs, linking temacs fails because the
OpenWindows X11 library is only available as a shared object on my IPC.
I'm using -Bstatic on the ld command which makes temacs, so

    ld -L/usr/openwin/lib -e __start -Bstatic -o temacs crt0.o .... -lX11 ....

fails because the libX11.a doesn't exist.

Changing from static to dynamic linking gives the error

    ld: _DYNAMIC bootstrapping not available: use -Bstatic

Having checked the Programming Utilities & Libraries manual about shared
libraries, I tried the suggested mixture of static and dynamic linking

    ld -L/usr/openwin/lib -e __start -Bstatic -o temacs crt0.o .... \
     -Bdynamic -lX11 -Bstatic ....

but that provokes the same error about _DYNAMIC bootstrapping.

I read that the __DYNAMIC symbol is referred to by the standard
/usr/lib/crt0.o, but using that and changing the entry point to "start"
just gives a runtime error of "ld.so: Undefined symbol: __start".

I'm sure someone must have succeeded in building Emacs with this
configuration.  What's the trick?

(David Osborne, Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham)