Excessive Soft Errors On IMPRIMIS 1.2Gbyte SCSI Drive

rmk at snowhit.att.com rmk at snowhit.att.com
Sat Mar 16 08:44:00 AEST 1991

For the past month I have been seeing the following on /dev/console and in
/usr/adm/messages during my early morning zero level dumps.

Feb  9 00:52:38 snowhit vmunix: sd6:  Excessive soft errors!  Check drive.

I reformatted the drive using Sun's Sun1.0G entry in /etc/format.dat but
the problem persists.  During formatting no hard errors were found.

My question is, can these soft errors turn into hard errors over time?  Do
I need to get this drive replaced?  Any suggestions.

Richard Kurtz
rmk at snowhit.att.com