NIS question

Jon J. Brewster jjb at cs.wayne.edu
Fri Dec 7 01:29:45 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec4.182751.10341 at amd.com> khui at brahms.amd.com (Kelvin Hui) writes:
>I have two SUN SPARC 1+ workstation, one set up as master and the other as
>client in NIS.  When I change passwd (using yppasswd or passwd), the
>/etc/passwd file on the master machine is updated.  The password on the master
>machine is changed accordingly but the client machine still uses the old
>password.  Reboot either machine doesn't change the situation.  In fact
>I have no way to change the passwd on the client.

There is a bug which seems to be less than 100% reproducible... it
has to do with the number of arguments with which one starts
rpc.yppasswdd.  There is a simple workaround, stick another argument
in the invocation, so:

	rpc.yppasswdd /etc/passwd -nosingle -m passwd
							  ^^^^^^^^^

I'm not sure this needs to be done in all cases, but when I recently
moved our NIS master from a 3/180 to a SparcServer-1, it completely
broke yppasswd until I put "-nosingle" in.  The symptom is that doing
a yppasswd will seem to work, but only the source file (/etc/passwd in
our case) gets changed.  The NIS maps are unchanged.

--
-jjb