NIS question

Shawn Koppenhoefer shawn at litsun8.litsun.epfl.edu
Thu Dec 6 12:07:50 AEST 1990

>client in NIS.  When I change passwd (using yppasswd or passwd), the
>/etc/passwd file on the master machine is updated.  The password on the master
>machine is changed accordingly but the client machine still uses the old

I've just spent the last hour chasing this problem. <sigh>
I should be sleeping at this hour!!! grrrr.

>password.  Reboot either machine doesn't change the situation.  In fact
>I have no way to change the passwd on the client.

I tried rebooting the client *and* the server (server first).
this seemed to sort of solve the problem in that the current
values in the server passwd file were now the same on the client.
But still, changing the password on either client or server didn't
update on the client.... so. what I do *now* is to rlogin into the
master and do passwd. Then I goto /var/yp and do a make.
This works, but I can't believe this is necessary!

Robert> Is the client actually seeing anything in the master NIS maps, or is it
Robert> just referencing the local password file?  Remember that you have to
Robert> change your password file before the getpwent() routines will look at
Robert> the NIS map information.  A "+:" in /etc/passwd tells these routines to
Robert> pull in NIS entries.

my client is a diskless but the /etc/passwd *is* on it's mounted
partition and there is a `+` in the 2nd line (no quotes).