RCS check in of foreign source (more questions)

Leif Andersson leif at control.lth.se
Thu Dec 13 06:19:51 AEST 1990

>>>>> On 11 Dec 90 18:41:34 GMT, srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell) said:

Scott> Hi...
Scott> 	I have a question about using RCS with source code from someone
Scott> else.  Lets say I get some source code from someone, they've used RCS so
Scott> there are RCS keywords and revision numbers in the source files.  What I'd
Scott> like to do is create a RCS file for each of the source files, continue work
Scott> on them for porting and patching and the like, then do an rcsdiff against
Scott> where I started and where I am, and use that as a patch file.  All I need
Scott> to do is recreate the last RCS "state" this source code was in.

I was just about to put the same question to the net, with a further
qualification:

Much of the software we use (we = all in netland?), is software that we
pick up from USENET or FTP from somewhere. We then do some minor
changes to "customize" it. Then an update comes along in patch format
and we want to apply those patches. My question is:

Assuming we have used RCS to do the local changes, how can we recreate
_exactly_ the files we started with, so that patch will be happy and
so that we then can use the various tools of the RCS/CVS package to
merge our local changes with the new version?

Leif

 Leif Andersson				Internet: leif at Control.LTH.Se
 Dept. of Automatic Control             Bitnet:   BODELA at SELDC51
 Lund Institute of Technology           Phone:    +46 46 109742
 P.O. Box 118                           Fax:      +46 46 138118
 S-221 00 Lund, Sweden