NIS question

hamish at waikato.ac.nz hamish at waikato.ac.nz
Thu Dec 6 12:09:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec4.182751.10341 at amd.com>, khui at brahms.amd.com (Kelvin Hui) writes:
> I have two SUN SPARC 1+ workstation, one set up as master and the other as
> client in NIS.  When I change passwd (using yppasswd or passwd), the
> /etc/passwd file on the master machine is updated.  The password on the master
> machine is changed accordingly but the client machine still uses the old
> password.  Reboot either machine doesn't change the situation.  In fact
> I have no way to change the passwd on the client.

 I had a similar problem on our SS1's, running 4.0.3 and now 4.1, up until
about 1/2 an hour ago. The /etc/passwd would get changed, nut the maps wouldn't
be updated, necessitating a manual make from /var/yp by the root. I fixed it by
moving the NIS password entirs into another file (/var/yp/passwd) and altering
the Makefile in /var/yp to get its entries from /var/yp/passwd. Now with
/usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd /var/yp/passwd -m passwd in the rc.local script,
everything works as its supposed to.

Does anyone know why the problems with /etc/passwd being propogated
automagically? The manuals all say it should work the original way.

> --
>           Kelvin Y. Hui      |
>        khui at brahms.amd.com   |   I'm doing nothing, I'm doing research.
|  Hamish Marson   <hamish at waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |