NIS question

Rob Riepel rob at wdl50.wdl.fac.com
Fri Dec 7 13:27:05 AEST 1990

>>client in NIS.  When I change passwd (using yppasswd or passwd), the
>>/etc/passwd file on the master machine is updated.  The password on the master
>>machine is changed accordingly but the client machine still uses the old
>>password.  Reboot either machine doesn't change the situation.  In fact
>>I have no way to change the passwd on the client.

I have the gospel on this one...(i hope)

I'm currently taking the SunOS system admin class and we were told that there
is a bug in rpc.yppasswdd that prevents it from doing the automatic update of
the passwd map.  There is a simple fix, add "-noshell" in the rpc.yppasswdd
startup in rc.local on the NIS master server.  This should get the NIS map
updated, and pass the update along to any slave servers. The placement of the
"-noshell" option is critical, it should be included just before the "-m"
option.

..rob (rob at ssd1.ssd.loral.com)