user owns login tty

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Mon Dec 3 20:27:53 AEST 1990

In article <1174 at aut.autelca.ascom.ch> dhuber at aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Daniel Huber) writes:
>Whenever somebody logs in on the system console he owns the device
>/dev/console.
>He can do everything with it. Even delete it.

Not true (at least on every flavour of UNIX I know, which includes
V7 + SYS-III derived XENIX and several SYS-V derived systems).

To delete a file you need *not* to be owner of this file but you need
write access to the directory which holds the entry. So, if the user
owns /dev/console, he still can not delete it; if deleting /dev/console
is possible on your system, check the permissions of the /dev-directory.
There should be *no* write access for regular users.
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin at mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83