user owns login tty

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Tue Dec 4 01:10:53 AEST 1990

In article <1174 at aut.autelca.ascom.ch> Daniel Huber writes:
>Whenever somebody logs in on the system console he owns the device
>/dev/console.
>He can do everything with it. Even delete it. In this case the sysadm
>has a lot of work if the machine goes down before the file /dev/console
>is existent again. Reloading a tape with a miniUNIX etc...
>Is there a way to prevent deleting (I assume accidentally) the
>/dev/console file?

I don't know how you can protect it but if it is a problem why not add
something to your rc scripts that checks for the device and creates it
if it is missing.  That way you can get it back simply by re-booting.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   I support gun control.