Backup across network using cpio

Tn3270 access tn03 at uafhcx.uucp
Tue Dec 4 07:24:27 AEST 1990

In article <189 at ucc386.UUCP>, machovec at ucc386.UUCP (The man for the job!d) writes:
> I would like to execute one command using cpio
> from the HP Vectra 486 to recover files directly from the DAT tape drive
> on the HP 370 and put them on back on the HP Vectra 486.
>
> Thanks,
>           Gregg        (Email: machovec at ucc386.uunet)

I personally use afio to back up four HP-UX boxes to one DAT drive.  I
don't use cpio often enough to answer your question specifically, but
this is the way I do it with afio:

remsh DAThost dd if=/dev/DAT bs=1024k | afio -i -

The - represents standard input.  Using the standard output of a remsh dd is
a good way to go.  I do something very similar to back the machines up.

find / -print | afio -o - | remsh DAThost dd of=/dev/DAT bs=1024k

I hope this helps.